This is my first Rodinhood Post. I am a great fan of Alok sir & Mahesh Murthy sir. Alok Sir inspires me by his writing.The power of his words, the deep impression of the sentence he frames, the way he grills people in an open discussion forum is something that I fantasize.
I am no writer. I have just managed to type the thoughts of my heart which is making me uncomfortable from past couple of months.
I am a 19 year old guy from Jamshedpur. I am living in Delhi from past one year and currently pursuing BBA from GGS Indraprastha University. My good grades and reputation is always a staff-room talk among the teachers in college. I belong to a well-to-do Marwari family.
Pic 1: Keenan Stadium, TATA Steel in the background. Jamshedpur
My father is a well known trader of electrical goods in Jamshedpur. Starting from scratch, he has attained a very respectable position in this field in just 10 years. He is a workaholic man and is bitten by the bug of making money and buying real-estates.
By God’s grace, he is extremely successful in his venture, though he failed in a lot in his previous ventures.
The magnetic effect between Money and Marwari is needless to say.
Since he is crazy about making money and buying real-estates, he keeps ‘work’ as first priority.
Now, the problem is my Dad wants me to return Jamshedpur after my graduation and expand his business, like a good Marwari son.
BUT, Fashion Wardrobe designing is something that excites me. I love to do it and my friends in college really appreciate my work. I am madly in love with two things- Designing & Delhi; my heart isn't into factories and lifting the shutters of the shop.
Pic 2: Concept by me, stitches by tailor
Pic 3: The place where I used to work
Though, right now I am not clear about doing-my-own-thing but I’m sure about venturing into the domain of Fashion Wardrobe designing in later years.
After seeing my Dad being extremely successful and acquiring materialistic things, the thing that puzzles me the most is-
“Shall I lay money more importance and do things that I don’t like than doing actually what I love to do? Shall I join his business? Shall I do it to keep him happy? Shall I give up my dream to study fashion designing? Won't I make enough money in doing something I am good at?”
Kindly advice and feel free to speak your mind!
Photo Courtsey: Mayank Austen Soofi
Nice to know about you, and well below are suggestions from my side
1) Complete education which ever you are pursuing right now
2) After the end of course, sit with your dad, and request him to give you 6 months or 1 year time to at least try the basic level of your dream
3) see what ever the trail period is very crucial, if you come up with some thing then you got chance to do fashion design or what ever with out troubling your dad and his dreams on you
4) see you can even understand his feelings, he ran like any thing up to now and got some stuff for you to make your life secure, he wishes that you can take care of business, run it up to your extent and secure next generations as well
5) even i am into fashion hand bags design and export, so i well know about the laces, fashion articles etc etc like availability, manufacturing costs etc etc . and before going ahead i request you to do small research on alibaba, tradeindia and other ecommerce sites to see the overall competition in indian market
So before sitting with your dad, do enough research and show him that enough potential is their in market and you might come up with some thing if given chance..