Startup

How would Hiring be through Social Media by 2020? (in Hollywood style)

Really Man, this is gonna be my first ever article to the world. Hello, How are you? Hope this isn’t a lazy Wednesday? Haha

SM=Social Media blame it on Linkedin‘s policy of limiting the title to 70 characters. 😛

After spending more than 7 years of my life in Talent Acquisition, I have witnessed the growth in leaps & bounds of the Hiring Trends. When I started my career in the Recruitment industry, not a single time did I think of giving an advertisement in the leading newspapers. Though there was an instance when my mind got derailed for a moment and I went to check out the rates of the newspaper ads and how to go about advertising and all. That was the end of the news paper era at-least for me. 🙂

“End of a Newspaper era at-least for me.”

In 2008, one fine day I decided to stop reading newspapers. I even called my newspaper delivery guy and had almost 20-25 minutes conversation, because I was one of the few and oldest customer of his. So he was asking me to continue the subscription I said “no buddy I am done with newspapers now a days it has only crap stuff.There are no real stories to read and as a matter of fact there are no good jobs posted on newspapers.” LOL

Coming to my title of this article: Consumption of Social Media in Hiring –

It was in 2008, when India was waking up with much hyped Facebook. A year later in April 2009 LinkedIn was much hyped so I happily jumped in & opened an account. And @ the same time I opened an account in Twitter too which was a big craze. And I am sure the same has happened with you also. Let’s get started with the two new words World “Social Media”.

In these 2 years, crazy things were happening. People were asking me about jobs through Tweets, personal messages on LinkedIn. Then some of the Facebook friends said “hey you are running staffing services right? Help me Bro.” LOL

This was making me crazy. When, where and how shall I reply to them?

Créeme, siendo un reclutador es TRABAJO DURO.
That’s Spanish, couldn’t understand the above line no worries here is the translation.

BELIEVE ME, BEING A RECRUITER IS TOUGH JOB. 😉

I figured out and started networking with all these people and then of late I understood the power of Social Media. Man this is the best universe to live in! You can consume whatever, however and how much ever.

The World changed once again when What’s App was born. I literally remember, I used to send profiles of my jobs to each of my what’s app phone list members. And, why not it’s a free Messaging app Right? 😉

The world of Social Media is emerging every single minute. While I am writing this article facebook has already announced their new project and soon to be launched a new website “facebook at work.”

You must be thinking where the hell is Hollywood style in this article? 😉 Aha. Here it is the famous Dialogue from the Hollywood flick:

“My mama always said, life was like a box of chocolates. You never know what you gonna get.” (Forrest Gump) 

So please share your experiences and feelings of how you are leveraging the Social media for Hiring?

What do you feel, how would hiring be through Social Media in 2020 in Hollywood style?

Statutory warning: No species were harmed while writing this Kick-ass article. It’s my personal curated thoughts, read it carefully & share it as many times as you want. Cya soon with another Kick-ass article. 

A-1| Wednesday ~ 19th November 2014.

Pls Tweet & gaga on @hiranand

Originally posted on LinkedIn

Sincere thanks to Sunaina for correcting the grammar in my article.

Comments

12 Comments

1. Hiranand – It does not feel like this is your first article. You made me want to read more as a reader. Kudos.

Now, to your question  – How would social recruiting change in 2020? I am going to claim three things

1. The resume will be dead. People will no longer care for what you say about yourself on a piece of paper carefully curated for their reading. 

2. There will be so much information available about you online on what you do, what you said/did not say to infer who you are at any point in time. I would call that people analytics based on tons of big data.

3. I would also stick my neck and say jobs in traditional industries will also change as a by-product of having technology permeating all industries (think internet of things). 

4. Finally, I believe job descriptions will be dead. There is full visibility into a company’s culture today. It is certain that in 6 years, it will be easier for candidates to know what “Executive Vice President – Capital Markets” truly means. 

2. Thanks a Ton @Sudarsan ..

1) Yes I also believe that resume / CV is vanishing but only in Start-up Community. I remember my last employer were only impressed by my 3 liner impactful mail, they called me and I was hired. No Resume was required. It’ll take time for corporate world to adapt such a great step.

2) Yes Big Data gonna play Big Role in coming years.

3) Over here i partially say No. Because JD’s play a Vital role in hiring. means a person like me who is an HR it help us what exactly company is looking for. I believe JD is much much needed so that we can pour a brief vision to the potential Candidates,

3. this is an interesting topic to initiate a discussion on, hiranand!!

excellent points sudarsan. so while the JD per se may not die, i think the JD will not be restrictive (it shouldn’t) and it especially in startups – it could change with time.

have you read rohan bhansali’s post on this?

https://www.therodinhoods.com/forum/topics/hiring-for-a-start-up-hire-ch

in fact, he has written a couple of more posts on hiring….

https://www.therodinhoods.com/forum/topics/the-5-not-so-obvious-common-t

ps: also, i think designations will be less presumptuous/constipating and more creative.:)

4. Yep I agree with you.

5. I recruit 50% via social media thru my contacts.

100% will happen in the next 3 years.

6. Nice article on hiring. 

@Alok you are reaching 50% is because your personal network grows exponentially. Plus you are focused on one domain.  🙂

For the others, organizations need to have a continuing SM strategy. Right now hiring is people dependent (Read recruiter). If you have the right recruiters, SM hiring happens else it is mostly hit or miss. 

2020 is too far ahead to predict. But my guess is that technology is going to get more intrusive and SM is going to get more consolidated and will give a 360 degree view on the candidate. 

SM will play a major role, perhaps some consolidations or a new technology to consolidate all the disparate information will also come in …. 

7. Being  in to Leadership Hiring for past 5-6 years & at present running my own start up outfit called Career Inflections [http://www.careerinflections.in ] in Mumbai for past 2 years; I can definitely vouch for social media making life a bit easy for recruiters. Whatsapp & Viber has cut down my communication costs to a large extent and are non intrusive. LinkedIn has helped in reaching out to those elusive bunch and for sales purpose. Social Media will definitely play a big role in Recruitment activity in years to come. 

However; resumes will still be in existence for a large population of workforce; may be except for those in creative field who have portfolio of their assignments. The concept of video resumes / cvs is yet to catch on. While you were lucky enough to get a assignment with just a 3 liner; but a large majority of corporates are not so adventurous in hiring without the initial screening of resumes.

The scary part is that with corporates jumping on to SM for their inhouse recruitment; the role of recruitment firms will get reduced & make market more competitive. 

Job Descriptions [JDs] will definitely be around; since quite often a similar role has different set of specs by different corporates.

PS: Meanwhile Hiranand.. do continue to read print version of news papers [ hate “e” versions of books & newspapers].. Where else do you get all the masala, chaos, despair for approx INR 5 ?? 

8. Hmmm .. 100% that’s pretty much factual particularly on internet, IT and ITES domains but it may take little more time for other domains to catch up SM hiring.

9. Hey thanks @vipul, even I believe in near future some path breaking product/services will reign the world of SM Hiring.

10. check this out – https://www.workshape.io/

11. Haha.. Suhas.. Would love to read print Version of Newspaper.. but aajkal Sirf masala and Ads hi dikhti hai.. lol

BTW little late to reply Crashed Lappie was in repairing 😉 

And yes i can relate to each and every words mentioned by you. 🙂

12. Hey Karan thanks for sharing the link.. I find this project very interesting and amazing. though they are focusing only in Tech..

I believe there is no such real innovation product / service has come to solve Non-IT Jobs.. (The larger Employee population). I hope the real innovation is on the way..

Comments are now closed for this post.

Lost Password

Register