Startup

One Wallet Newspaper – Revolutionizing the 246 year old Indian newspaper industry

Hi Rodinhooders,

I work with One Wallet Solutions Pvt. Ltd., an organization whose vision and mission is to make the lives of those working in unorganized sectors easier. We started our venture with newspaper vendors and have developed a revolutionary, but thoughtful mobile application One Wallet Newspaper that has successfully managed to take all of their business operations online. As of today, over 1500 newspaper vendors have registered with us and are enjoying benefits like online bill generation and collection.

How it all started?

I’ll start from the very beginning. Mr. Neeraj Tiwari, the founder of One Wallet, has always been fascinated with technology and wanted to use technology for the benefit of the overburdened unorganized businesses. He was struck with the idea of developing One Wallet Newspaper when he found his newspaper vendor at his doorstep as late as 9:30 PM struggling with bill collection. He was determined to do something for the vendor and for the benefit of such businesses by giving them access to technology and helping them adapt to it.

Further, through our in-house research, we found that around Rs. 5000 cr. worth of bills are distributed and collected manually by 6 lakh newspaper vendors in India. With the launch of the application in November 2015, for the first time in over 2 centuries of the industry’s history, vendors were equipped with technology and were collecting their bills online. The application once installed on the newspaper vendor’s mobile phone generates bills automatically within seconds, which earlier use to take around 15-20 days to reach his customers. We have tied up with 134+ newspaper publishers to procure paper prices and also provide important updates to the vendors.

Future Plans

By December 2016, we aim to connect with 50000+ newspaper vendors. Realizing that this is the best time for fresh and radical thinking, we have secured a patent to digitize the coupon subscription system and will launch the same in the next 2 months. Through this feature, the vendors can avoid the frequent losses incurred by them through loss of physical coupons. The vendors won’t have to visit the publisher’s office to encash the coupons. Processing of coupons will be done online, thus saving time and energy of the vendors to a great extent. We are currently operating in Mumbai and intend to cover the entire state of Maharashtra by July 2016.

We strive to digitize the otherwise conservative industry and provide a common platform for management, automated bill generation and payment collection to the newspaper vendors. Apart from seeking a leading position in the industry, we are well on our way to make an impact so big that it forever changes the way the newspaper industry works in India.

Click here to download the app from Google Play Store.

Check us out at www.onewallet.in.

Thank you,

Swapnaja Phalak

One Wallet Solutions Pvt. Ltd.

Comments

13 Comments

1. hi swapnaja, 

neat idea and problem you guys are solving. where are all of you based and how big is the team now?

your website link doesn’t open for me, kindly fix.

and pls add your twitter handle at the end.

2. Hi Asha,

Thank you for your inputs , We are based in Navi-Mumbai And we are a team of 20 members. you should be able open link now (https://onewallet.in/). 

Since our target customers are not very twitter friendly we have not started a twitter page yet.
  3. unsolicited piece of advice – PLS CREATE A TWITTER HANDLE!!! trust me, all smes benefit from twitter at some point or the other! i will be sharing your post across social media so it would be nice to mention your twitter handle!

4. Hi Swapnaja,

Just for trial, I downloaded the app, tried registering and logging in, but could not after multiple tries. showed messages of REPORT SUBMITTED, post which i did not what to do.

till that is sorted, my questions as follows

is this a billing and payment service for newspaper vendors to readers or newspaper vendors to publishers or both? Can you give an example of an actual use case for helping me understand?

What is coupon subscription system?

5. Hi Asha, 

I have created a twitter handle and added it to the post.

Thank you

6. We are calling you now! We tested here and it happened here. Let us call you and explain this. 

7. Got a call and a proper explanation from Bhavin. Thanks! I will try it again.

I think a use case example can be added to the replies for the benefit of everyone’s understanding.

8. Hi Swapnaja

Good to know about your app, well congratulations to you and to your entire team. well my suggestion is get this to each and every nerve of India, because india is a big complex market, major companies concentrate, fund more on getting into deep in indian market.

So concentrate on getting this app to be used  by 70% of all news paper vendors with in India, that’s it your app solved the major problem. Dont jump into too many other problems and creating apps for those problems. take time, lets get this thing used regularly.

All the best.

9. I hope this helps as a decent use case example of how the application works.

10. Yes, this makes the picture clear. Thanks!

11. swapnaja,

can you pls edit your post and add this image on the post itself? i just shared your post on fb and am about to tweet it as well.

thanks!

12. Hello Asha,

I’ve added the image to the post.

Thank you.

13. Wow this is a really good problem that ‘needs’ to be solved. Good luck to you guys.

Comments are now closed for this post.

Lost Password

Register