And I thought sending countless mails, making innumerable calls, presenting indefinite slides and working out my website a million times is what will ultimately lead me to a client.
So I did everything. And I got nothing.
Neither a call, nor a mail.
I almost gave up and was trying out more intellectual ways – seeking references, asking for quality time with my mentors to know the pitching process and what not.
Here is where I ultimately met my potential client.
Just yesterday, I had a meeting with a client based in Jaipur. I boarded my train. It was a pleasant Monday morning and I was all alert (unusual – as I prefer sleeping the moment I land in a 2nd AC Berth). But that day was different. Morning 5.30 and no sleep in my eyes. All awake.
A smart looking lady sat just in front of me and after dealing with initial customary acts, she sat calmly (just like me ;)).
Note: People in AC compartments rarely get into a conversation. Leave alone casual talk.
But after few minutes, she turned towards me and passed a smile. I returned. And there we go - two ladies exchanging ‘as-usual’ questions and answers.
Result – She came out to be a Diamond business owner and I was in advertising. Day after tomorrow, we have a meeting. All because she was eagerly looking for an agency (she already has one, but wants to switch) and wanted to see if anything could be worked out. She asked for my company profile and now nailbites has a ‘potential’ client (if not ‘client’).
I don’t know what it will result in. But I have learned few important lessons.
- I now know where to look for a client – everywhere!
- You need not always run after your client. Do good work. Clients will reach out to you.
- As an entrepreneur, be alert always. Don’t sleep. ;)
- Be presentable most of the times, particularly when you are travelling. Study shows that strange people walk up to you for a talk mostly if they find you presentable. (*presentable doesn’t mean suit and tie)
- Keep a smiling face inviting conversation. Ignore if that sounds stupid.
- Lastly, all the above may or may not work. Chill!!!
good work anamika!!! awesome title :))))
Thanks Asha :)