The moot point is that the entire concept is what I would consider FALSE. After all the charade of selection, pitching, elimination, etc etc – the event in Hong Kong is PAID FOR! You HAVE TO BUY TICKETS TO THE GALA EVENT!
In short – you are PAYING for the award.
As written in August 2011:
NO. Don’t want it.
Well, that’s what I think I said to Red Herring a couple of minutes ago – when I hung up after a call with them.
– They informed us a few months back that we (games2win) were ‘qualification’ material for the Red Herring 100 Award. We acknowledged the same.
– They asked us to fill out the form, etc. We did.
– They sent us mails to clarify lots of points including some confidential data. We clarified and gave them data.
– This morning we received a mail saying, “Call us or let us call you.” I let them call me 🙁
– The call was pleasant and kinda, “How is the weather” type of talk (read – “Entrepreneurs are this and that”, etc) – I participated and humored the caller.
– In the end I was told, “We like to see the entrepreneurs. We want them to come to Hong Kong and present in front of a jury. On that day in September, something will happen at 4pm, then something at 5pm and winners will be announced at 8pm. So please come.”
I said NO.
This is the point I made:
– Entrepreneurs don’t have time to pitch for awards and mentions. They have time to do business.
– As an award, you have done lots of research on all the companies concerned.
This is the age of the INTERNET!
You are not awarding the Top 100 ‘Secret Companies in North Korea’ prize, that you need to determine if the Company is a human or a cockroach!
– Hey! Look up games2win on google! Look at our blogs! Check out twitter… There is a world out there that has done diligence on us.
All points were acknowledged but not accepted.
I hung up.
Parting shot – Grammys and Oscars are given on work DONE. Not on last day pitches. The work is what gets an award – not the person or the tuxedo he wears; and not based on if he can control his voice and speak well.
Oh, and if the Red Herring is the Corporate version of Miss Universe – will I be asked, “If you had one regret in life, what would that be?”
Well, I don’t want to be the dandy standing there in my bikini shorts saying, “I regret having come here.”
I AM NOT GOING THERE IN THE FIRST PLACE.
Give my Red Herring to someone else.
Also read – Red Herring Top 100 Asia: to go or not to go is the question