- People love authentic stories – this short simple post has just one thing going for it – it is 100% genuine and people can relate to it. Plus, it is a relevant answer to the question asked. Therefore, not only did the readers read it, many of them promoted my post to new people without me even asking for it.
- Should not feel salesy – the links embedded here fit in naturally with the content and therefore people did click on it and a LOT. Comparing it to some forced marketing techniques where we leave comments at random places just to insert our URLs that never leads to good clicks, it feels so clean and organic.
- Have faith and patience – Marketing doesn’t come naturally to me and could never have imagined getting such unexpected response on something I didn’t plan. It just tells me to give it time. Keep making your efforts, learn from the successes and failures and improve upon it. Eventually, things will go right.
- Content matters – I won’t discount the countless hours I had put in on the book website in the first place so that the content resonated with the audience when they reached it. And those who liked what they saw signed up for updates – https://nisthaonweb.com/blog/seven-conversations/ I had put in the work and with this post, it serendipitously came together. I would call it a touch of divine intervention in line with the theme of my book 🙂
- Sign up on Quora
- Follow the topics relevant to your product and interests.
- Contribute meaningful content – ask intelligent questions and provide insightful answers. If your product is too niche, see which other topics can you provide good answers on. The more number of followers a question has, more exposure you will get.
- Focus on quality over quantity. In my case, I have written only 30 answers or so and have only 2 top answers (350+ upvotes). Only this epic post had links to my site and I could see the excellent traffic it generated. It wouldn’t be easy to write right answers that you can connect your product with and which can reach to a huge audience. So, do some research but when you find such an opportunity, make the best out of it.
- Build a following by answers as well as posting blog posts. It can be a nice extra traffic generation tool in the long run. This is the reason I think people like James Altucher repost all their blog posts separately on Quora.
P.P.S By the time I have submitted this, it has crossed 820+ votes.
(I could have done much better job at organizing this post, apologies for my hurried write up but I hope its still helpful. Feel free to ping me/comment if I can elucidate anything further)