The question was, “that’s a pretty high growth rate and would be phenomenal if you can do that. But how will you do it?“
By having great people around me
That’s what I answered when a few years ago I was asked this question by a seasoned entrepreneur. Its for that very reason that I am writing this post. I am looking or rather ‘hunting’ for those ‘great’ people. In our quest to build an awesome workplace, its time to expand our ‘A Team’. So who am I looking for? Intrapreneurs and/or ex-entrepreneurs.
As Wikipedia says: “Intrapreneurship refers to employee initiatives in organizations to undertake something new, without being asked to do so.” Hence, the intrapreneur focuses on innovation and creativity, and transforms an idea into a profitable venture, while operating within the organizational environment. Thus, intrapreneurs are Inside entrepreneurs who follow the goal of the organization. Intrapreneurship is an example of motivation through job design, either formally or informally.
Or in simple terms, people who:
- Love to be on their own and not being questioned by anyone BUT at the same time are responsible enough to deliver their tasks
- Take pride in their work, even if its cleaning a toilet
- Take ownership for their stuff, work and personal, both. Thus, know how to do get stuff done AND at the same time can do it her/himself, if needed
- Thinks “business”
- Are not ready to take the entrepreneurship plunge yet but want to do it someday. If you are in this zone, believe me, this will be the perfect learning experience
- Have already got hands dirty once and are looking to do it again, just for the sheer joy of it. Whether your company was successful or not, doesn’t really matter. What matters is you tried!
- Love what they do. Period.
- Keep “learning” as one of the success parameters in whatever they do
- Are willing to “mentally” invest in the company
- Are fearless and have a risk taking appetite
What skill set?
I believe a skill set can be built would what matters is the intent.
Well, everything that a business owner has to do. Sales, marketing, client engagement, manage, think (and not procrastinate), organize and most importantly, write.
Having said that, I must mention a few roles here
- Web Analytics
- Digital Marketing
- Visual Designer
- Content Writer / Marketer (Enterprise writing)
All those roles are detailed out on Niswey’s careers page, so you may want to have a look and say:
- You are good at one and are while willing to learn others
- You are really good at one and are willing to build a practice (and team) for just that
- Know bits and pieces of a few and are willing to be good at all or at least most of them
- Don’t know any of that but can do something else really great AND want to learn them too
Although I have tried to elaborate who will fit this role, but still I would like you to go through some more pointers written on our careers page. If you still have questions, please feel free to write to me at abhinav [at] niswey [dot] com. I’ll be happy to talk/explain about things, in detail.
If you’ve read so far and think that not you but a friend might be interested in such a role, please go ahead and share this with her/him right away, I’d really appreciate it, thanks!